Saturday, February 2, 2013

Avocado Oil





Just like my relationship wavers with yogurt, I have done the same with oil.  For years, I used 100% extra virgin olive oil whenever I could as it's much healthier for you than vegetable or canola oil.  Then, I read several articles that claim when olive oil is heated it releases cancer causing carcinogens.  Naturally, I freaked out and searched and searched for an alternative.  I introduce to you: Coconut Oil.  It's delightful!  I have found it's cheapest at Trader Joe's.

I used it for my own omelettes and different things for a week or so and then one night I used it to make shredded sweet potato hash browns.  I took a bite and it was delicious!  I was so happy to have found coconut oil.  Then...Josh spoke up.  He could taste the coconut and he doesn't like coconut.  Back to square one I went.  I couldn't argue with him; it does have a distinct coconut flavor.  I continued to use coconut oil in dishes that he wouldn't be able to taste it, but I still didn't have my "go to" oil for when I needed to heat it. 
 
As I mentioned in a previous blog post, we had such a great time in Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.  We enjoyed some very tasty food, the family time was memorable, and we met lots of great people.  Furthermore, I found my oil!  I know, weird, right?  Our last day in Arizona was a Sunday and every Sunday the resort we were staying at has a farmer's market.  My parents and I decided to go check it out and see what an Arizona farmer's markets entailed.  Little did I know I would hit the jackpot!
 
 


As we walked around I saw this stand and made a beeline for it.  I was chatting up a storm with Keith (the nice man pictured above) in a jiffy.  He told me ALL about his avocado oil and I was intrigued.  He let me sample some and I was SOLD.  In fact, you are reading the blog of the newest member of the sales team for Storino's Quality Products.  Just kidding, but I'd totally do it.  I believe in it that much!
 
Aside from all the health factors, it doesn't taste like avocado.  Which, is a bit of a shame, because avocados are one of my main food groups.  However, this fact makes it perfect for cooking anything!  I get abnormally excited about things like this and Keith was happy to answer all my questions.  Here's what I learned:
 
*The smoke point of avocado oil is the highest of all plant oils at 520 degrees.  (Olive oil is 350 degrees)  I'm psyched about this!
*Since it's made from 100% avocado's it's also rich in monounsaturated fats (the good fat from avocados), it's rich in antioxidants, and has vitamins A, E, D and potassium.
*This particular brand I purchased uses Ahuacatian avocados and they are from the region in Mexico where the best avocados are grown-Michoacan, Mexico. 
 
Are you ready to buy some yet?  You won't regret it!
 
 
You can purchase bottles directly from their website or if you have a World Market in your area they carry it. 
 
 
 
Thankfully, I had the good sense to purchase the biggest bottle there because I'm obsessed and going through my bottle at rapid speed. It was the perfect way to end a spectacular trip to the desert.  The pamphlet I got with my purchase says it perfectly:
 
"What do you do with Avocado oil?"
 
"It's great from Sizzle to Drizzle."
 
 
*I still use my olive oil for homemade salad dressing and different things, but I stick to the avocado oil whenever I'm heating to a high temperature.  Coconut oil is another oil that can reach a high temperature before burning and is another great choice-I prefer the avocado oil for the neutral taste.
 

2 comments:

  1. Gonna have to get me some! Can't wait to find out if they carry it at WM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested in a usa made product that's unrefined versus refined, there is a local company bellavado.com that makes it completely raw, organic and Bon-Gmo.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments!