Friday, June 22, 2012

Mondays

Monday was a big day at our house.  Well, that might be exagerating a little.  Okay, a lot, but it was exciting for me!  We will get to that in a bit, but let me back up a bit first.

A few months ago, while eating dinner in Mexico, Josh (my husband) shared with me a new goal he decided to work on.  You know, becuase you get those really good conversations in while on vacation.  Love them.  Anyway, he said he was going to cut back on his meat intake.  I almost dropped my fork into the ocean.  It was like a chorus of “HALLELUJAH’S” went off inside my head.  I remained relatively calm (can you tell it’s the little things in life that excite me?) and proceeded to blabber on about how happy I was that all this time I have been telling him about my concerns with the hormones, antibiotics and the mass over consumption of meat he was listening.  Warmed my heart to the core.  I decided right then and there he would partake in “Meatless Mondays” to start his journey.  While I don’t eat meat 99.9% of the time I was thrilled he would join me for one day.  I’ll take what I can get.

I am very fortunate that Josh enjoys eating healthy.  However, he is a bit picky when it comes to vegetables.  I knew Monday’s from here on out were going to be tough to find main entrée veggie items that we would both enjoy.  As Barney would say:


I was so excited to get started.  While I knew I could take the easy route and make gnochhi or cheese pizza I wanted to get more creative;  I wanted him to really enjoy it.  I have tried several new recipes, which we always eat, but none have been amazing.  I knew I needed to step up my game to keep him motivated. 

Last Monday I tried another new recipe that I found on Pinterest.  Baked Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos.  They looked great and they included two of his favorites: sweet potatoes and black beans.  Remember earlier I said it was a big day at our house?  Well, halfway through his dinner, he said, “This is the best Meatless Monday meal yet.”  Mission accomplished!

Here is a picture of my finished product as well as the link to the recipe.  The changes I made were I had some pepper jack cheese in my freezer so I used that.  I also left my seeds in the pepper because we like spicy food.  I made guacamole to eat with it, but next time I will also have salsa.  This recipe is definitely added to the Monday rotation!





2 comments:

I'd love to hear your comments!