Friday, August 24, 2012

Avocado Pita Pizza



One of the recipes I tried while Josh was out of town a couple weeks ago was yet another one from my Mom’s Pinterest: Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce.  I love pitas, avocados and cilantro so I had high hopes.  Plus, all the ingredients are items I have on hand each week anyway.  It was very easy to prepare and I found it to be a nice, light dish.  I sent Josh a picture of it and told him our next Meatless Monday menu was set.  He also likes pitas and avocados so I thought it was sure to be a hit.  I knew he would need two of these along with a side dish to get full so I also prepared a sweet potato black bean quinoa dish I know he likes.  (I’ll post that recipe soon too…if only I had time to blog every day!)

Last Monday came and I made our Pita Pizzas.  Mistake #1: calling it pizza.  I pulled these out of the oven and Josh asked if he should put ranch on it.  Excuse me?! I shot that down immediately.  He puts ranch on his pizza all the time, but this was homemade cilantro sauce.  I asked him to kindly please try it plain first and then add ranch should he feel it necessary.  Then he asked if he should put red pepper flakes on it.  Now, that actually was a good idea because I like things a little kicked up too.  However, I was still so appalled that he would suggest ranch on my “pizza” I prepared I shot that down too.  However, next time I make these I just might sprinkle a few red pepper flakes on it.  He might be on to something there. 

We started eating and I patiently waited for him to get through a few bites before asking what he thought.  I got a very nonchalant shrug of the shoulders and an explanation that it was good, but it wasn’t really that flavorful.  Mistake #2: I showed way too much excitement about this recipe to start with so therefore his expectations were so high that when he took a bite he was disappointed.  Or, so I tell myself.  The truth is, I may be the “foodie”, but Josh has a much more developed palate than I do.  I mean, let’s face it, there isn’t a glass of red wine I have met that I disliked.  And, if I’m in a situation where I’m supposed to be educated on the wine or make a comment I totally make things up.  I taste blackberry with a hint of vanilla.  Not true.  I taste red wine and it’s delicious; end of story.  One time, I even said my wine tasted like I just licked the grill...during a wine tasting in front of the wine reps.  Whoops.  Honestly, that was the first time I tasted a wine and I actually felt like I knew what it tasted like and I blurted it out before I even thought about how it might sound.  It wasn’t a negative comment at all, it’s actually one of the best wines I’ve ever had.  I have a bottle at home that’s been sitting there for three years just waiting for a special occasion.  I haven’t quite figured out which occasion screams, let’s open up the I just licked the grill grate wine!

Anyway, Josh ate it for dinner on Monday and while he thought it was alright, he didn’t find it flavorful enough.  I am in agreement it is not the strongest, most potent flavor you have ever tasted, but I found it delicious.  I think the combination of the cilantro with the  cheese and avocado is a wonderful mixture.  I think this would be a great appetizer at a party and if you have some side dishes it’s a great main dish as well.  So, one of us loved it, one of us though it was alright.  I say you give it a try and let me know what you think.  As I mentioned, it’s super easy and made with common ingredients.

The quest for Meatless Monday dishes Josh likes continues.  I believe I am 1 out of 12 currently.  Time to increase that statistic.  Maybe next Monday…

Recipe found here: 
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/avocado-pita-pizza-with-cilantro-sauce/



If you live in KC these pitas are the best!  My mom found them at a little place in Lenexa. I have never been, but she has also eaten there and really likes it.  They are perfect because you can freeze the bags and then put them in the oven as needed and they are ready to go in minutes.  She buys me two or three packages at a time and I keep them on hand.  It's worth the extra stop if you're ever in the area.

This is how it looks right before going in the oven.  After it's baked you top it with your avocado slices and eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!