Friday, August 10, 2012

Tomale Stuffed Peppers

Josh and I just returned from a vacation I am so thankful we could go on.  My college roommate, teammate and friend got married in St. Thomas.  She was a beautiful bride and it was so much fun watching her say her wedding vows overlooking the water!  But, this isn’t a blog about my life is it?  :) So, what am I getting at?  Well…while in St. Thomas Josh and I discovered an amazing new condiment.  It won’t be difficult to make, but I have to work on it this weekend to determine exact measurements.  More on that next week!

For now, I thought I’d post the Tomale Stuffed Pepper recipe I talked about last week.  As I mentioned, my mom found the recipe on Pinterest and when she told me she liked it I decided to give it a try.  It’s very easy to make and it has common ingredients in it so I make these fairly often. 




2 medium bell peppers
½ cup tomatoes, diced
½ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup corn
¼ cup green chillies
¼ cup green enchilada sauce
¾ cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
¼ cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
hot sauce to taste


Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare the bell peppers by slicing off the tops and removing the seeds. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, beans, corn, green chillies, enchilada sauce, ½ cup cheese, cornmeal, green onions and cilantro.  Spoon the mixture into hollowed bell peppers and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Place stuffed peppers in a baking dish and add about an inch of water to the bottom of the pan.

Bake, uncovered, until peppers are tender and filling is heated throughout; about 50 minutes.

Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm
Serves 2


 
Add caption

When you chop the tops off don't just throw them away!  Cut around the stem and dice them.

Then put them in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer.  I use these all the time in omelets or in recipes that call for diced pepper.  I know I made more peppers than I usually would with my company, but look how much would have gone to waste had I thrown all the tops away.


Ready to go in the oven.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!