Wednesday, April 24, 2013

2013 "Dirty Dozen"


The 2013 Environmental Working Group "Dirty Dozen" list is out as well as the "Clean 15".  I used to have this hanging on my refrigerator and then one day in my attempt to get rid of clutter in the house I moved it.  Then, I never found it again.  Whoops.  Out of sight, out of mind.

I have to say, I struggle with buying organic.  I love going to Aldi and getting  a good deal on great tasting produce.  However, I am going to make it a goal to work on buying more organic foods that are on this list.  (I made a delicious kale salad over the weekend and I bought organic kale.  Point, Trisha!) More specifically, pesticide free produce.  Sadly, just because it's labeled organic, doesn't always mean it's free of harm.  The good news is, prime farmers market season is just around the corner!  I'm hoping this cold weather and snow hasn't killed everything and I'm looking forward to buying some of these on the dirty dozen list from my local vendors.  

I'm still a couple years away from the ability to have my own garden. Which, means I have that amount of time to magically develop a green thumb.  Fasten your seat belts, folks, it could get interesting.

In the meantime, I'm thankful for this list to help guide me on which produce has the most pesticides and which ones have the least.  Now, go do something fun after this depressing post.  :)

  


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about getting the deal vs. buying organic. I'm trying to do the same. Maybe we should start a Dirty Dozen support group? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments!