Saturday, April 20, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal



Any recipe that has peanut butter or pumpkin in it and looks remotely healthy, I give a try! This one has been on my list of recipes to test out since January.  My mom sent me an email from a website, http://ohsheglows.com/, which is a blog with all vegan recipes.  In January the blog posted the top vegan recipes from 2012.  This recipe was on it and it had ingredients in it that I knew I would have on hand.  Yes, it's now April and I finally got around to making it yesterday for breakfast.  I love oatmeal, so it's not difficult to please me, but I've never been able to master blending in peanut butter.  (Such a shame, I know)  Look no further, this is a perfect recipe for a wonderful, and most important, thick, bowl of oatmeal.  (Nobody likes thin, soupy, oatmeal.  It's what kept me from eating oatmeal as a kid.  And, to think, I've only spend the last couple years of my life enjoying this healthy, all natural food.  Tragic, I know.)

Anyway, a few simple ingredients and voila, breakfast is served.  Enjoy!


Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
*Recipe from Oh She Glows


1 serving

1 large, very ripe banana, peeled and chopped
1 t. coconut oil
1/2 T. natural peanut butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2-1 t. chia seeds
1 C. almond milk
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
Toppings: 1/2 T. peanut butter, nuts, cinnamon, pure maple syrup

1. In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, cook the banana in oil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Stir in 1/2 tbsp peanut butter, and add the oats, chia, milk, spices, and a pinch of salt. Whisk well until combined.

3. Bring to a low boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring often for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

4. Scoop into a bowl and top with peanut butter, nuts, cinnamon, and maple syrup.

A few notes:


*I mentioned above I knew I'd have all these ingredients on hand when I finally got around to trying it.  Bananas never go to waste at our house.  When they start getting too ripe to enjoy, just toss it in the freezer.  Sure, if you have time you can peel it and put it in a bag, but I've been known to just toss the entire thing in one of the side doors of the freezer.  They are perfect for smoothies and in this case, I pulled one out for my oatmeal.

*If you don't have chia seeds it's no big deal to leave them out.  They just add some nutrition if you keep them at your house.  (Since watching Hungry for Change I'm obsessed with chia seeds.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!