Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Overnight Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats



In case you haven't noticed, it's Fall and I LOVE pumpkin.  Over the weekend I tried several healthy pumpkin recipes and two were keepers, one was I'll eat it, but won't make it again, and one was so horrible I threw it away.  Yes, that bad.  Anyway, I shared keeper #1 yesterday and today is time for keeper #2. 

I wanted to make this for Bible Study this morning, but I wanted to test it out over the weekend first because I don't love using the crock pot.  Soup and chili is easy in it, but other stuff always sticks and dries out.  And, yes, I've used those plastic liner things, but then everything just sticks to those.  Plus, they kind of weird me out.  Additionally, the last time I tried overnight oats they were gross.  All that to say, I'm not sold on this whole crock pot cooking stuff.  However, I found a winner!  So easy and incredibly healthy!  So, this morning I made it again and Katie agreed it was a great addition to the pumpkin recipes for Fall.  The only negative thing I have to say is I really like my oatmeal with minimal liquid so it's not slimy.  This is pretty slimy, BUT the crunchiness of the steel cut oats offsets it so I actually enjoy the texture of it. 

I should credit Sugar Free Mom for the recipe.  She also supplied the throw away one.  (She has some amazing healthy recipes and then she has some very healthy tasting recipes if you know what I mean)

Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats
Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
optional: 1/2 cup honey

Directions
Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.

Nutrition Info:
Servings: 4* Calories per serving: 171* Fat: 3g* Cholesterol: 0g* Sodium: 3g* Carbs: 32g* Fiber: 6g* Sugars: 3g* Protein: 6g* Points+: 4*

*w/o honey

Simple enough, right?  I added the honey and I think it turned out wonderfully.  Yesterday, I talked to my mom and she started telling me about a new recipe she tried and it was this one!  We had both tried it over the weekend and she added some pecans once it was done cooking to her bowl.  I liked that idea so this morning I garnished ours with pecans and I will definitely do that again.  As always, hope you like it!

My oatmeal this morning was in a to go container because I took it over to Katie's house so I thought I'd steal the pictures from Sugar Free Mom's website.  It's much prettier than mine would have been! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments!